TearLab Osmolarity Test
About the TearLab Osmolarity Test
The TearLab test is the first objective and quantitative test for diagnosing and managing dry eye disease.
How will having the TearLab test benefit you?
- Expect fast and accurate results using only 50 nonliters of tear film to diagnose dry eye disease
- The osmolarity data allows you to understand your individual level of disease
- The ability to compare and track osmolarity results at different stages of the disease
What’s your number?
Abnormal tear osmolarity is a failure of homeostatic osmolarity regulation. Increased osmolarity can cause:
- Irregular tear film
- Increased damage to the ocular surface
- Increased inflammation
The TearLab measures the salt content in your eyes and is the gold standard for objectively diagnosing dry eye disease. Your specific osmolarity number is generated by TearLab’s lab on a chip technology. This unique number helps your doctor determine whether you have dry eye disease, and if so, whether you fall into the mild, moderate or severe category.
How will the test be performed?
The TearLab osmolarity test utilizes a temperature corrected impedance measurement to provide and indirect assessment of osmolarity. The TearLab osmolarity system pen is designed to hold the test card and facilitate pain-free, simple tear fluid collection. Using a mechanical/electrical interface, the pen is able to convey data to the TearLab reader automatically when docked.
Why is it important to diagnose and treat dry eye disease?
For some, dry eye symptoms such as itchy, burning, stinging eyes may seem like a mere nuisance. However, if left untreated, dry eye disease can have serious consequences including:
- Permanent corneal scarring
- Corneal ulcers
- Increased susceptibility to eye infections